I’m very pleased with my first attempt at bracketology. One thing I’ll have to consider in the future is the selection committee’s hard-on for RPI. I don’t like it and prefer Sagarin ratings, so I made most of my decisions based on those numbers. Also, it appears the selection committee frowns upon schools who play a weak OOC schedule. In the end, those two things (RPI/weak OOC) put some blemishes on my bracket.
How did I do:
- I picked 65 of the 68 teams in the field.
- I nailed 35 teams exact seeds.
- I picked 19 teams within one seed line.
- So, 54 of 65 teams were exact or within one seed line
The general rule for bracket scoring is this: 3 points per correct team, 2 points for exact seed, and 1 point for within 1 seed (exact seeds count here too). A perfect score is 408.
My score is: 65 teams (x3) =195 / 35 exacts (x2) =70 / 54 within 1 =54
Total Score: 319
How did I fare against the “experts”? Move over ‘Joey Brackets.’
- Bracketology 101: 64 of 68, 49 exact or within 1 seed = 299 score
- Joe Lunardi : 65 of 68, 51 exact or within 1 seed = 302 score
- Jerry Palm: 66 of 68, 52 exact or within 1 seed = 302 score
(Source of numbers: Bracketology 101 – They didn’t list the number of exact picks, someone had already figured them into the total. I’m going to do a count on my own when I get time later today, just to be sure.)